Expedition Volunteer Program Application
This is a rewarding dive industry experience program. You receive two dives a day, accommodation whilst onboard and great meals.
Expedition volunteers must show a valid working visa and be a minimum of 18 years or be an Australian or New Zealand resident. It is an unpaid (including tips) uninsured position. You must hold travel insurance that covers you for diving & medical evacuation.
As a representative of Mike Ball Dive Expeditions (MBDE) you are expected to:
- Arrive on time.
- Be professional and friendly.
- Have strong conversational English skills.
- Maintain a standard of appearance and hygiene that fits the image of a professional crew member not a tourist.
Two Expedition Volunteers Are Required Per Expedition
One ‘dive deck’ and one ‘domestic’ from 11am Thursday, week 1. To 1pm, Thursday, week 3.
Positions are for two weeks depending on your suitability.
Dive deck volunteer – Divemaster certification, with current Professional Diving Liability Insurance
(with 15 logged dives in the last 12 months).
Domestic volunteer – Certified diver, with 20 logged dives (10 in the last 12 months).
Costs & Paperwork
- $50.00 2x uniform shirts.
- $175.00 Gear Hire per week – dependent on requirements.
- Return ASAP.
- Work Rights Status.
- Expedition Volunteer Booking Form.
- Application Booking Form.
All Times – Clean, well groomed & clean shaven.
Boarding & Departure – Red uniform shirt, navy dress shorts, footwear – navy crocs.
Evenings – Clean and tidy appearance (no singlet’s) ‘Party’ shirt for BBQ night.
Other Times – Navy uniform shirt, clean and presentable shorts.
- Thursday prior to 11am: complete paperwork and payment at MBDE Office.
- Complete safety orientation on-board Spoilsport.
- Dive Deck volunteer completes ‘Open Book’ Dive Procedure Exam.
- Make dinner arrangements.
Bookings & Cancellations
- Requested dates are cancelled after 7 days, without deposit payment.
- Cancellations must be advised ASAP.
- Cancellations within 14 days of departure forfeit $250 deposit.
- Deposit is forfeited if you do not fulfil your scheduled commitment.
MBDE Reserves The Right To Cancel Volunteer Positions
- At any time prior to departure, subject to space or crew requirements.
- On the day of departure, if the applicants appearance or English speaking skills are not suitable.
Important: Contact us one week prior to confirm your space. The risk of cancellation is less than
5% however, it is best to get travel insurance to cover any outlaid expenses (flights etc.).
- You must not partake in any recreational drugs. Alcohol consumption must not exceed 4 standard drinks in a 24 hour period. No BYO – ships bar only policy.
- No smoking permitted onboard the vessel at any time.
- You must refrain from: intimate relationships with any guest who has a partner or relative on board; overt displays of affection in view of guests; coarse language; and sexist or rude jokes.
- MBDE does not offer references for Volunteers.
- MBDE does not sign documentation for Volunteers accrual of sea time.
|Domestic Duties:||Dive Deck Duties:|
Application Form. Applications are open the first week of each month, 3 months in advance of the travel date. Applications made outside of these parameters will only be considered for wait-listed, last minute cancellations.