The Australian Outback is one of the most well-known icons of Australia. The spectacular combination of vast blue skies and red earth provide for amazing scenery. Once across the coastal ranges and Atherton Tablelands you first hit ‘red dirt’ approximately and 1.5 hours west of Cairns and hidden in this huge landscape are some great sights.
Billy Tea Safaris Outback Day Tour
Begin your day with a stop at the beatiful Mareeba Wetlands for a chance to see some of the flora and fauna fo the Atherton Tablelands before leaving the green agricultual land behind as you head over the Great Divide and into the dry outback. Travel through historical towns and rolling hills rich in minerals before reaching Chillagoe. Explore the fosilised remains of coral reefs within the limestone caves. On the way back to Cairns a chance to sample some local tableleands coffee at the Australian Coffee Centre.
Departs: Cairns Monday, Wednseday and Friday 7am (returns approximately 6.30pm)
- Naturalist guide
- Air-conditioned 4WD vehicles
- Mareeba Wetlands
- Morning Tea and delicious Aussie lunch
- Tour of Chillagoe cave
- Chillagoe smelters
Undara Lava Tubes 2 Day Outback Experience
Undara is an experience that defines Australia’s quintessential Outback. Your stay at Undara Experience includes evening wildlife spotlighting walks, campfire evenings, delicious dining featuring the region’s best produce, or a quiet drink in the bar as the outback sunset fades into the clear starlit night. Highly qualified Savannah Guides take you on tours that give a unique insight into the geology and ecology of the Undara Volcanic National Park, the local history and bushcraft of the Gulf Savannah region.
Departs: Coach departures: Monday, Wednesday and Friday // Self-Drive: Everyday
- Buffet Lunch at Fettler’s Iron Pot Bistro
- Free time to enjoy resort facilities including marked walking tracks, swimming pool, bird watching, a snooze in the shade
- Wildlife at Sunset Tour at approx 5.15pm, followed by 3 course dinner in Fettler’s Iron Pot Bistro
- Overnight in restored turn-of-the-century carriage accommodation
- Bush Breakfast at Ringer’s Camp 7am
- Half day tour of Undara Lava Tubes with Savannah Guide
- Buffet Lunch in Fettler’s Iron Pot Bistro
- Depart for Cairns at 1.40pm (arrive Cairns 6.15pm)
2 Day Outback Experience With Rail
Savannahlander. The popular ‘Savannahlander’ train travels the original 90 year old rail line that serviced the pioneering mining towns of Forsayth, Einasleigh and Mt Surprise.
Slowing and stopping regularly, there are plenty of opportunities to observe and photograph the flora, fauna and unique geological features encountered on this historic journey. No better way to enjoy your return trip to Cairns.
Departs: Fridays only
- Cairns to Undara – coach transfer 6.30am
- Buffet Lunch at Fettler’s Iron Pot Bistro 12pm
- Two Hour Lava Tube Tour with Savannah Guide (depart from Reception) 1.00pm
- Free time to enjoy resort facilities including the swimming pool, bird watching or a quick snooze in the shade
- Wildlife at Sunset Tour at approx 5.15pm
- 3 Course Dinner in Fettler’s Iron Pot Bistro 7.30pm
- Overnight restored turn-of-the-century carriage accommodation
- Bush Breakfast at Ringer’s Camp 6am
- Transfer to Mount Surprise 7am
- Travel back by Savannahlander Train Safari from 8.15am
- Arrive Cairns 7.00pm, transfers to hotel accommodation.